Our Mission Statement
Providing Bowen Islanders with financial support for their self-care during active cancer treatment. Cancer Care Fund recipients may choose to use their gift for services that may include but are not limited to massage, acupuncture, physiotherapy, medications not covered by MSP, nutritional counseling, pedicures, food delivery etc.
The SwimBowen Society acknowledges that each cancer patient’s diagnosis and resulting choice of treatment (traditional or alternative) is unique and therefore demands a thoughtful, flexible approach with each situation. It is also understood that other extenuating circumstances may interfere with the fund dispersal deadlines noted below and will again be considered at the discretion of the board.
Applications for the SwimBowen Cancer Care Fund are accepted with a doctor’s prescription for cancer treatment. Patients wishing to pursue alternative treatments are eligible for the SwimBowen Cancer Care Fund. Cancer re-occurrences as well as palliative patients are eligible for Funds. Bowen Islanders may receive the SwimBowen Cancer Care Fund one time only.
- SwimBowen Cancer Care Fund Level I $1000: cancer patient receiving no chemotherapy.
- SwimBowen Cancer Care Level II $1500: cancer patient prescribed and/or receiving chemotherapy.
- SwimBowen Cancer Care Level III $1500: palliative cancer patient
Prioritizing Fund Disbursements
- When requests are equal, funds will be gifted on a first come, first serve basis.
- When requests exceed funds available,level 2 requests will be gifted first.
All requests and recipients will remain confidential.
The number of Cancer Care Fund disbursements depends on total funds raised and level of need in the community, while ensuring appropriate start up funds remains in the account for the following year’s swim launch.